I.T.S. therapists are experienced in working with a range of communication needs, including:
- Autistic Spectrum Disorder
- Down syndrome
- Cerebral Palsy
- Sensory Impairments – Visual, Auditory and tactile
- Challenging behaviour and associated diagnoses
- Augmentative and Alternative Communication needs
- Eating and drinking needs
Support to Staff
- Identify the strengths and needs of each client
- Identify a preferred communication style
- Recognise the need for daily communication opportunities
- Evaluate the need for additional communication methods
- Take a holistic view of the client, accounting for all the settings they are part of
- Observe, record and evaluate presenting behaviours
I.T.S. therapists are experienced in working with a range of communication needs and are aware of the requirements of Care Standards and OFSTED and can work positively with staff and management groups to:
- Link client’s targets across the care and educational settings, to include communication and behaviour
- Facilitate consistent recording methods for all communication and behaviour targets
- Measure progress against targets and provide useful feedback.
- Evaluate positive communication environments and advise in the development of new layouts.
- Sequencing daily routines through a visual timetable
- Choosing snacks and drinks independently with visual systems or with objects of reference
- Independent choice making for indoor and off-site activities
- Understanding visits and appointments
- Understanding social activities better
- Supporting successful visits between the client’s family and residential home
- Developing a range of on site activities which stimulate and motivate the client and that are accessible
- Developing independent skills to prepare meals and drinks
- Direct contact with the client alongside their care/education staff for identified hours each month
- Delivery of personalised training around the clients needs with repeat sessions where required
- Development and recording of individual and environmental communication targets with staff
- Attendance at Care and Education reviews
- Access to the therapist for offsite activities including, access to social activities
- Planning meetings with key staff across care and education
- Provision of communication reports across the year
Each package provides a breakdown of services, allowing purchasers to track the level of provision across the year.
It is therefore possible for the residential setting to confidently include the cost of the communication package within their fees with clear justification or we are happy to from an agreement directly to the purchaser of a client’s placement.
Providing a Multi - disciplinary team of therapists
I.T.S. development managers will be able to discuss your setting/departments needs in more detail and identify a range of communication packages to suit your client’s needs. For more information about Integrated Treatment Services and the services we offer, please contact us.